Sunday, October 12, 2008

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Well this was quite a day! Things were going really well. A great spirit in church. Worship was inspiring. Footprints Dance Troupe was a blessing. Then we decided to evacuate the sanctuary at the 11:00 service.

Even one as unaware of things as myself noticed the smell of smoke as we were about 10 minutes into the service. Glenn Ladd, who was ushering, came up and noted that it was pretty smoky in there and we should probably get people out of the sanctuary. It was amazing how orderly everyone was. We "took a break." Some made sure everyone in the education wing was aware. You did an amazing job today.

I thought about going out to the parking lot and preaching but that did not happen. I'll see if I can get the sermon on the web page this week for those of you who simply don't think you can exist without my preaching!

There was a really encouraging thing that transpired among those who evacuated the building. Ginger, Curtis and Brian Tolander (trustees chair) had people give them their offering checks to be placed in the safe! Now that is faithful.

I hung around and shared with the fire department my vast knowledge of fire, ballasts and wiring -- and caught myself talking about things I have absolutely no idea of -- and watched the experts do their work. They checked things out and determined there was no immediate danger. Of course we canceled activities for the rest of this day but will be able to resume things first thing in the morning. In less than an hour an electrician was present, beginning to check our lighting. Currently we ask people not to use the sanctuary or turn the lights on! The electrical folks will be there in the morning and we will get all this taken care of. (I should probably warn you that this might get a bit costly. We will not compromise the safety of our people.) Anyway, it was some day.

All in all things went pretty well. I hope you had a good day. Just remember you folks at 11:00 -- I am now 45 minutes ahead and will be making up that time in the future!

4 comments:

Grammy said...

Now that sounds like some real fiery preaching LOL

Unknown said...

Steve,

I definately agree with you regarding the wonderful fellowship at the church. At the 9:00am service I could feel the power of the Holy spirit within the whole congregation when we sang. It was fantastic! For those who missed your sermon, please post the general talk-points, because it was very well done and very important for all of us. Steve, you are a wonderfully innovative pastor and I am grateful God has sent you to Platte Woods.

Nancy G

Mike Cole said...

SMOKIN!!!!! Where there's smoke there's fire! I fully expect Walter to break into the song "FIRE" by the Ohio Players next week.

We felt the problem first, then we smelled the odor, then we saw the smoke....all indicators that something extraordinary was happening.

Kinda like all the growth and the spirit we all feel, smell and see working at Platte Woods. There are many indicators that SOMETHING EXTRAORDINARY IS HAPPENING AT OUR CHURCH!

OK Steve how you gonna top this!

Denneys said...

Is this what they mean by "on fire for God?"