Sunday, October 19, 2008

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Yesterday my son and I went back to Baker U. where we went to college. I had not been back for about three years so we took the opportunity to make the trip. The main thing was watching Baker play football against Evangel. Well, maybe MU, KU and KSU all got beat yesterday but my team put a "whoopin" on the Crusaders!

Anyway, we were standing down in the corner of the end zone watching the game. (You can do that at small college games but don't try it at a big time place.) A Baker defensive back intercepted a pass. Here he came right our way. He got knocked out of bounds at the 1 yard line. He hit the turf and the ball bounced toward us. As a matter of fact the ball rolled right to my feet.
If that had happened when I was a kid in grade school I would have picked it up, looked around for who to throw it to and figured that would make my top ten highlights of the year! To touch the game ball would have been amazing.

In Jr. High I would have done about the same thing. I would have been a little "cooler" I'm sure, but I would have gotten excited getting to toss the game ball back into play.

In High School I'd have had it all figured out. I'd have picked up the ball but I'd have been really cool then. I'd have thrown a perfect spiral to the ball boy and taken my bows.

So what do you do when you are all grown up and find yourself looking down at the game ball? In essence I felt like a little kid. The game ball. Right there at my feet. I didn't even try to be cool. I just picked the ball up and tossed it (underhand spiral) back to the field. My throw was a little short. It bounced away from the ball girl and she went and picked it up. Bobby looked at me. It sort of hurt but I was in the game so all was well.

I have to think about how I feel when I find myself getting close to the Christian game. We are invited to not only get close to the field but also get in the game. With childlike wonder we are invited to take the ball and get it in play.

We get in the game in many ways. Everyone has something that touches their heart. Have you ever thought about helping someone learn how to read? Have you ever gone to visit those who are sad, sick, troubled or lonely? Have you ever wanted to heal the sick? Have you ever wanted to say just the right word to someone at just the right time? Have you ever wanted to encourage the discouraged, build up the downtrodden, or affirm the struggler? Have you ever wanted to build a house? Have you ever wanted to strengthen a marriage? Have you ever wanted to study the Bible? Have you ever wanted to learn to pray? Have you ever wanted to know that Jesus Christ was real, in your life and at work in the world? You can fill in your own have you ever......"
The ball just rolled to your feet. At our church is opportunity to get in the game in great ways. I continue to realize that and it makes me feel good. It's been a good day. I hope you had a good day too.

No comments: