Wednesday, October 1, 2008

He buddy could you spare me a Trillion dollars?

I wish I had the definitive answer to the economic crisis our country is facing. I don't. But I do know something must happen. Congressman Cleaver believes the work before congress is the most significant since the declaration of war with Japan in 1941. Senator Bond reminds us that if we are not able to provide the means farmers will not be able to operate and small business' will not make payroll. Everyone on the news has pretty dire things to say about the credit freeze.
So what should we do? Let me offer one suggestion. Do all YOU can to eliminate or at least reduce debt. Isn't that what got us moving toward this mess in the first place? My economic theory says if you spend more than you have you will end up in trouble.
Now I realize that our entire economy is based on credit. We must deal with that. It does seem like I read in the Old Testament in different places that interest should not be charged (at least to fellow Israelites). You would be hard pressed to find Democratic Capitalism outlined in the pages of scripture. But I digress.
What do we do? Rather than continue to ramble on about this I have no training in let me point out something I do know something about. What if we read Matthew 6:25-34. Go ahead and read it. What if we spent some time prayerfully reflecting on the passage? What if we took it to heart? What if we believed it? What if we allowed the scriptures to guide our practice? We would not find ourselves overwhemed with worry. Worry would be replaced with trust in God.
I suppose that is the word of encouragement I would offer. You do not have to trust your 401(k). You do not have to trust the stock market. Don't trust your pension account. Thank God for all of them! But none of the above will save you. These challenges days gives us an opportunity to renew or perhaps discover trust in Jesus Christ. These could be the greatest days of faith we have ever known.
So keep praying for our elected officials. I pray God grant them wisdom and discernment. But above all trust the Lord. It makes more sense than having someone sidle up to me and say, "hey buddy could you spare me a trillion dollars!"
steve

1 comment:

bigtoe316 said...

Nice note. It really applies to where I am today.