Sunday, August 20, 2017

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Been off for a couple of weeks and much has happened.  Charlottesville has been on my mind each day.  I was in the mountains without connectivity when I first got a hint of what happened.  In the following days I read up on the events and also read many different opinions.  Frankly I don't have much to add but after reflecting thought it would be good to share a few things.
White supremacy, white nationalism, racism and violence are wrong.  These things are referred to as evil, wicked and something to be condemned.  But the worst word to describe these things is sin.  Let me try to illustrate.
A year or so ago I realized that the altitude in the Colorado mountains affects me negatively.  In preparation for our recent trip to Georgetown, Colorado I checked with an over the counter pharmacy.  They told me some things that would treat the symptoms of altitude sickness.  Ibuprofen for headache and something else for upset stomach - it was motion sickness stuff -.  They would treat symptoms but the doctor gave me a prescription that is meant to address the problem.  It worked pretty well.  I did not miss a meal on our trip!
I share that to lead to my witness regarding the ugly head of racism that is rising up yet again.  White supremacy and nationalism and racism are manifestations of sin.  We may condemn racist activity but until we find repentance we only work on the symptom.
I write as an Orthodox Christian who knows the redeeming power of faith in Jesus Christ.  I understand our human nature to be fallen from God's original intent and therefore deeply marred by sin.  I see our human efforts at self-redemption as fruitless.  But I do know the power of Jesus Christ to change lives.  Jesus speaks to the root of our issues, not merely the symptoms.
Even as I have thought about this I have an increasing appreciation for my progressive friends who are fearlessly leading the way to resist evil and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves.  (That is right out of our baptism liturgy)  Protesting injustice and evil (I should say sin) moves us in the right direction.
I see an opportunity for Christians to come together and make a common witness to the Gospel.  Call attention to the issues.  Trust in Christ to change lives.  Be hopeful.
On another matter...
Cindy and I celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary Saturday.  Wow.  I am so grateful for the life God has been making all these years.  What joy.
On another matter...
Don't look directly at the sun tomorrow.
On another matter...
It was good to be in church this morning and worship from the congregation.  Jake blessed us with his preaching and Nancy truly ministered through prayer and serving.
On another matter...
Peter Babalian... We celebrated Peter's 90 years of life yesterday.  He will be missed but his witness lives on.
It's been a great day.  I trust you've had a great day as well.
steve

No comments: