Sunday, April 23, 2017

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Once in awhile I come across the question asking what time in history you would like to visit.  There are variations of the game.  I have thought about different historical eras.  There is a fascination with the roaring twenties.  Can you image being a Methodist preacher in Kansas City in 1925?  That would be interesting.
My latest thought is inspired by our recent celebration of the resurrection.  I think it would be amazing to be one of 500 people the risen Lord Jesus appeared to not long after he was raised from the dead.  (See I Corinthians 15:6).
Jesus was raised from the dead.  He appeared to Cephas. (Peter)  Then he appeared to the Twelve. (disciples)  "After that he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time." (Acts 15:6)
That would have been something to be one of those.  I would have heard about Jesus.  I would have been in his presence and known who he was.  I would have some affiliation with others who were coming to the place where we were seeing something unique in Jesus.  I would have been among many who were in the vicinity of the cross when Jesus was crucified.  I would have been among the troubled, saddened and fearful.  I would have been one of those who heard that something had happened and now people were going around saying they had seen Jesus.  He was alive.  I doubt I would have believed it at first but evidently the witness of those who saw him would have been pretty amazing.
I don't know where I would have been.  Maybe Cindy and I would have been at a gathering of others who had a strong hope in God.  There he was!  I don't know how long he would have been with us.  I don't know what he would have said.  I just know that being in the presence of the risen Lord would have changed me forever!
As a matter of fact I don't have to be one of the 500 to believe Jesus rose.  And he has changed me...and keeps changing me...forever.
It's been a great day.  I hope you've had a great day too.
steve

No comments: