Sunday, February 7, 2016

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Today is Super Bowl Sunday. This event has a way of taking over the day. For the vast majority of American football fans their favorite team is not playing. However even the casual fan finds this nearly compelling viewing. I will tune in and enjoy the game and the commercials. Let me put this in a different perspective. Cindy and I returned last night from a trip to Guatemala. We joined eight others from the church and visited a number of churches, schools and clinics Platte Woods UMC has supported through the years. We had fellowship with people who speak a very different language. We shared smiles and laughter. We felt the joy of people gathering in churches to praise God. We toured a medical clinic where the poor are treated and cared for. We saw the shy smiles of children. We enjoyed the extremely colorful traditional clothing worn by these Mayan people. It was not "roughing it" by any means. (I still remember sleeping in a tent on the mountain in Honduras). We spent the last two nights in Antigua. I had never seen an active volcano before. That is some sight. Even in this resort setting we visited the ancient, sacred site overlooking the city. It is an amazing thought that followers of Christ have walked these streets and lanes for hundreds of years. It is amazing to share in the simple lives of these gracious and joyous people. It is amazing to share faith in Jesus Christ with people whose lives are so different from ours. We speak of our international missions from Platte Woods Church but most cannot grasp the impact this work makes. Dr. Marty and Mona Kanne have been at the forefront of these Central American efforts for many years. I am planning a way to share this vision and mission with our church in the next few weeks. I want everyone to capture the joy of mission and find some way to participate in changing the lives of people in Central America. I am so thankful for the opportunity to see the things I've seen and meet the people I've met. I could have never imagined being in another country having a very small part in life-changing, community changing grace. As I sit to watch the Super Bowl this evening I think my mind will still be at Atitlan Lake, Chichicastenago, Chulamar and Antigua. My mind may wander to the crooked roads and mountains. Whatever I eat will certainly be compared to tortillas and frijoles. It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: