Monday, September 7, 2015

Reflections (it's Monday rather than Sunday so a new name)

I think it was sometime in the spring of 1976. Cindy and I had been thinking, talking and praying about our next step. It seemed like taking a step into ministry was where we were heading but since there was no real frame of reference for a decision like that it was not easy. Discerning a call (or direction or practically anything else in the spiritual life) is not simple. Part of the complexity involves prayer, searching the scriptures, considering life situations and having conversations with others. There was a United Methodist evangelist who we had met a few months earlier. Cecil Williamson had a profound effect on us. We discovered that Cecil was going to be preaching at a church in Arkansas. We lived in south Missouri but he was closer than Mississippi where he lived. We decided to go to this little town in Arkansas and see him. We had a friend staying with us at the time so the three of us got in the car and headed out. (I believe we took the afternoon off from teaching since it was like a 5 hour drive). I have no idea how we got to this place but it seems like we drove over mountains and across rivers and where there were no roads! But we got there. We went to church. Then we went to the preacher's house where Cecil was staying and talked. I really do not remember the content of our conversation. No light bulbs came on. But the encouragement and the experience contributed to our decision. It took us most of the night to get home and after sleeping an hour or so we went to work. (Can't do stuff like that anymore!) I share that because tomorrow we anticipate Cecil and his wife Julie passing through Kansas City on their way out west. They will be spending the night and I am pretty jazzed for our conversation. Cecil is now retired. (If evangelists ever really retire) But he is still active and going strong. I look forward to seeing my mentor in ministry. Thinking about this reminds me of how blessed I have been to have people invest in me. There have been many. It strikes me that part of our Christian life includes investing ourselves in others. Who could you offer your time and life to? You never know. Your interest and presence could contribute to a changed life. It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: