Sunday, August 18, 2013

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Cindy and I went to our favorite church today - Platte Woods UMC! Took the final day of vacation and sat in the balcony. (Frankly I like my regular view better.) Thanks to Curtis who did a great job with the "Grace Effect" series. I get to finish it up next weekend. After church we ran by a couple of stores before we went home. Generally I spend all Sunday morning at church. We always talk about everything that goes on Sunday morning that tend to keep people away from church but today I saw some things first hand. I wonder about the clerks who work on Sunday morning. Did they have much choice in whether or not to work on Sunday morning? Did they volunteer? Did they have "nothing better to do?" But there they are. What about all those shoppers? Were they on the way home from church? Is Sunday no more than a day off? It seems strange to enter into a different culture. That is what it felt like for me. My culture is a "church culture." Other things revolve around my church culture. Obviously not everyone lives in a church culture. As a matter of fact many live lives where church would be expected to revolve around most everything else. I like my culture better than the one I shared in today. I like my culture so much better I want to share it with others. There is some hopeful and Good News. Christ is the transformer of culture. That is something I remembered on vacation this year. Looking forward to being back "home." It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: