Sunday, December 12, 2010

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Ever have one of those days? Woke this morning with the temperature in the house 10 degrees lower than the thermostat was set. After checking out a couple of things made a call. Did you know there are companies that do service 24 hours a day, seven days a week? I consider it a real blessing to have a warm home.

On the way out of our subdivision I realized (too late) the hill was pretty slick. Thankfully there was nobody else out at the time I was so I could slide through the intersection and into the field across the street. Somehow backed right out and eventually made it up to the road to church. About then the tire went flat. I appreciate Heartland Church of Christ for having a parking lot for me to leave my car in. (I left a message on their answering machine. Sorry I wasn't asking for service times or something like that. Just telling them why there was a car in their parking lot when they got to church.) A quick call and Kenny came from church to give me a ride.

So ... nice start to the day. But things certainly picked up from there.

Curtis and Ginger led us through scriptures and Christmas carols at 8:15.

The Wesleyan Choir shared the cantata at 9:30 and 11:00. (I got to be the narrator!)

Between services someone had heard about my flat tire adventure and asked if he could change my tire for me. (I figured I'd get towed after church.) What a blessing for Marty Kanne and Paul McLaughlin to go change my tire! That made it much easier to head out after church and become the proud owner of two new tires!

So ... now I'm in a warm house. I am mindful of those without these blessings I often take for granted.

I have been on the receiving end of people doing acts of kindness.

The cantata spoke and sang words of peace into my heart.

I also got a gentle reminder that many people come to church each week with a bunch of distractions in their lives. It is a miracle that we get together in the presence of God and in many unique ways experience grace.

So all in all - it's been a good day. (In spite of the beating the Chiefs are taking at the moment.) Some challenges - countered by blessings. I hope you've had a good day.

Blessings.

No comments: