Sunday, July 26, 2009

business card on your car?

Evidently someone chose our church to put business cards on everyone's car today. It sends you to a Web site. I decided to check it out and found some of the old ultra-conservative, anti-church stuff I ran across 30 years ago. If you have looked at the Web site I would encourage you not to be alarmed. A telling point deals with what translation of the Bible is appropriate. The source of this Web site insists only the King James Version is a legitimate translation. This is simply not true. Those who advocate this position fail (in my opinion) to recognize that the KJV, just like any other translation is just that - a translation. You better learn Biblical Greek and Hebrew if you are going to get a "purer" translation. Yes, even if you read Greek and Hebrew you must still translate the words. Suffice it to say that God is the author of His Word and (I believe) graciously gifts people to translate, expound and interpret the Word for our salvation and edification.

I don't think I'll point out anything else from the Web site. There was a time in my faith life that this sort of misinformation and warning would trouble me. But not today! We're not an apostate church - We are not sold to the world. We are a faithful expression of the Body of Christ.

1 comment:

Nancy K. said...

Nancy K. said...
Steve: I feel your frustration and share your passion to help people "get it right". But frankly,you have to remember that you can't fix stupid. People who really know the Bible understand the difference between translations, interpretations, paraphrases, etc.
True Faith Warriors lead in the positive and do not resort to chastising others for their beliefs. Your "card carrying Christians" didn't do that.It's their way or your not one of the faithful. What a pity.
You are on the right track.
Keep up the good work for the Lord.

Nancy K. Kincaid

July 31, 2009 8:34 AM


Posted to Reflections From Sunday Evening
Delete Comment Cancel