Sunday, May 25, 2008

Reflections from Sunday Evening

The Memorial Day weekend is not a great one for church attendance. Last year our attendance on this weekend was one of the lowest of the year. I am not sure what the numbers are for this weekend but it looks like we were about 100 over last year. That's a good sign.

I have to confess it always bugs me when we have low attendance. I've confessed my thoughts and feelings about this. I realize I have a tendency to gauge my worth and value by how many folks end up in church on a weekend! I know that is not a healthy way to go about ministry. I am getting better about that.

Our services this weekend brought the presence of the Lord near. I looked out at the congregation during a service and was struck with the thought that God was in this place! That is a great feeling. It is the kind of thing that keeps me coming back for more. I'm already getting geared up for next week's services as we begin a brief series on Methodism. Next week: Do no harm.

Get some rest. Enjoy your day. Don't forget the real reason for Memorial Day. Remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our nation and freedom.

2 comments:

Grayman said...

I always look at the number of cars in the parking lot as I pull in to judge attendance. I find myself pondering where the people are and why they aren't there. I don't see it as a reflection of Pastor Steve. I personally think you do a great job.

Steve Breon said...

Attendance is a funny thing now days. We average 839 people per weekend (year to date). In a given month we will have about 1200 different people worship. We just don't come the same days. Appreciate your observations.
steve