Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Prince Caspian

About a year and a half ago we did a sermon series on C.S. Lewis' "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" from the Chronicles of Narnia. Last week a second movie from the series opened. This week I want to take a look at some of the themes from "Prince Caspian." Before you take the kids or grandkids to see it be aware it is PG-13. There are some pretty serious battle scenes.

I will read a passage of scripture from 2 Chronicles about a battle between the army of King Jehoshaphat and a much larger army. It is amazing how these themes of faith, fear and courage find their way through scripture into daily life. I hope you will be here.

This Sunday is also Memorial Day weekend. We want to remember those who have sacrificed thier lives in service to our country and freedom. I hope we can realize that Memorial Day is not merely a day to give us a long weekend to get away from work. It truly is a significant day that we tend to forget. Let's don't forget the real meaning of Memorial Day. Let's remember.

I keep remembering selling poppies when I was a little boy. I'm not sure why but I imagine all of us were doing so in Appleton City. It supported "Decoration Day." That is what we used to call Memorial Day. I'm glad I was trying to do my part. The other part of Memorial Day was going to the graves of our family members. As a matter of fact that is what I identify most with the holiday. But this year I am paying more attention to the meaning of the day as it remembers and honors those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice for freedom and country.

I hope to see you.

No comments: