Sunday, November 4, 2018

Reflections From Sunday Evening

I was able to take part in our blood drive today.  I've been donating for years and it is really not a big deal except for the difference made in the lives of people who need blood.  Then it is a big deal.  Anyway, after the 10:45 service I went down and donated.  I noticed a young man on the cot by me.  When we finished we were sitting together eating an Oreo (that is the best part of it) and struck up a conversation.  He told me this was the first time he had donated.  Way to go Ben!  He did great.
It made me think.  While experience is a great thing there is something special about beginning.  I give blood regularly and tend to forget the real reason we do this.  We give that others may live.  How can we relegate this to ho hum status?
Could we say something similar for living the Christian life.  Many of us have been doing this for years.  Do we take grace, forgiveness, mercy and all the other joyful blessings of a relationship with Jesus Christ for granted?  Does the faith become duty?  Does the faith become boring? 
With a first time blood donor there was a healthy sense of anxiety.  There was a little bit of "how am I supposed to feel?"  There was excitement about being able to give.  He was ready to talk about his experience. He told me about his dad giving.  It was pretty clear to me that his dad was the inspiration for him donating. 
Anyway, Ben reminded me to not take opportunities for granted.  Don't take your service for granted.  Don't take your faith for granted.
Thanks Ben.  You blessed me - and who knows who else - today.
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: