Sunday, September 9, 2018

Reflections From Sunday Evening

When the Kurtz family (Warren, Diane & Natalie) joined the church today, Warren shared why they chose to "join" the church.  We establish the fact that membership does not necessarily have benefits.  When you are a visitor we encourage you to park close to the building and we seek to extend extra hospitality.  When you join we ask you to park further away, give money to support the church, be sure you take part in serving Christ and others, get involved in learning in a group, and be intentional about attending worship regularly. 
But back to Warren and the Kurtz family.  Why join?  He summed it up with the word "accountability".  It is true we never completely "arrive" in the spiritual life.  We continue growing in the grace and love of God.  Being part of the church includes a personal accountability to the church.  It was a good word.
I take accountability seriously.  I am accountable to our United Methodist Church with the superintendent and bishop.  I am accountable to our Book of Discipline.  I am accountable to you, the congregation I am appointed to serve. 
I also have an accountability group that I ask to hold be accountable.  There are three basic areas they watch.  They ask about my spiritual life.  How are my prayers and scripture reading?  Am I finding new insights from the Lord?
They ask about my health.  Am I working out?  Am I taking care of myself physically?
They ask about my family.  How is Cindy?  How are the kids?  Things like that. 
It means something to know there are people thinking about you and praying for you each day.  It means something to know someone is going to ask me some questions and I will give an account.  Accountability helps.
I hope you have someone to hold you accountable for your faith and growth in grace.  That is part of what the church seeks to provide.  I hope you learn from the Kurtz family and heed to message to be accountable in your faith.
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: