Sunday, July 1, 2018

Reflections From Sunday Evening

I have been pondering a thought.  I mentioned it today in the message.  I recognize there are many perspectives from which to look at our world.  Among those perspectives is the Christian view.  I believe our perspective on things is vital.  Here is the thought.
"When a people loses reverence for God, they lose civility with people."
Every day someone writes or broadcasts something about the lack of civility in our society.  We mock each other.  We call names.  We find fault.  We point fingers.  Each time we engage in these behaviors we contribute to the lack of civility in our society.
Who is going to change this?  Who will help our culture turn the corner?  Consider our Christian perspective.  There is a passage in I Peter. (I Peter 4:17)  It sounds judgmental but take it to heart.
"For it is time for judgment to begin with God's household..."
Here is my slant on the passage as it speaks to our setting.  Lack of civility in our culture begins with the people of God.  The Church must stop acting like those who do not know the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ.  When we stop criticizing.  When we stop accusing.  When we stop finding fault.  When we stop pointing fingers, we will be able to find God doing a new thing.  When we contribute to civil discourse and loving one another, we will become a light in the darkness.  We have the opportunity to effect change in our society.  However, we will not make a difference if we continue to mimic the world.  We are better than this. 
In a devotion by Tim and Kathy Keller, they spoke to this issue.  Their call: "Despise no one, respect everyone."
How's that for an assignment for the week.
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Agree. We,I,can be quick to criticize sometimes without looking for ways I can improve communication. God showed me grace before I was born and still does daily. Let me be more like Him.