Sunday, April 29, 2018

Reflections From Sunday Evening

This week I had an opportunity to spend a few hours with come pastor colleagues.  Among other things I learned that in Joplin and St. Louis churches are developing "neighbor-to-neighbor" programs and reaching out to those around them in creative ways.  I learned that in Springfield a discipleship plan is underway that re-captures Wesleyan spirituality and discipleship.  (I ordered a book!)  I learned of a church in St. Louis hosting a safety workshop that influenced several hundred people and scores of churches.  I learned of a Lee's Summit church partnering with a school in a literacy program.  I learned of a church working on a jobs program to help address the economic challenges faced by the poor.  It is amazing what you can learn from others who are experimenting and touching lives in ministry.
We seek to collaborate with one another to discern God's calls and invitations to ministry.  We reach out to touch the lives of others and rejoice in what God does in the lives of people through Jesus Christ. 
Another thought...
A few years ago when we were early on in the Healthy Church Initiative (HCI) process, our coach met with us to help us discern some goals.  Through our research we determined that in our mission field (I think it was four zip codes) there were 40,000 unchurched people.  We felt God was inviting us to reach 2% of them. 
Since then we got somewhat bogged down on one of our prescriptions (that little building thing we did) and it took us a little longer to complete and live into.  So here we are.  It is time to take a new step.  I eagerly anticipate how God will move in our church to reach the unchurched all around us. 
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: