Sunday, January 14, 2018

Reflections From Sunday Evening

I appreciate Rev. Jason Bryles, Sr. Pastor of Centennial UMC in Kansas City, for preaching at Platte Woods this weekend.  Jason made me think of the importance of perspective in ministry.  Centennial is about 20 minutes from Platte Woods but it is like a different world. 
I agree with Jason that access to good health care, education and economic opportunity really should not be determined by zip code.  But often times it is.
Jason also offered insight into the work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  In 1963 he "had a dream".  Dr. King's work for civil rights in America has changed lives and contributed to changing the fabric of our nation.  Obviously we have far to go.  Steps forward are often followed by regression but by the same token Dr. King has been to the mountain top and seen the promised land. 
What does our promised land look like? 
I see people continually growing in love for God and others.
I see people, even nations, with differences being reconciled.
I see hope spurring the imagination of children in every segment of society.
I see people lacking basics of life with "enough".
I see the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
The legacy of Dr. King continues.  May we be inspired to see the promised land.
On another note...
We pray for Liberty UMC.  On Saturday we were honored to host the memorial service for Rev. Alan Zugelter.  Alan fought a courageous battle with cancer and now has entered God's eternal kingdom.  Our prayers continue for his wife, Ashley, his family, friends and the congregation of Liberty UMC.  Alan was a great inspiration to many and has left us far too soon. 
Lord, in your mercy, hear our prayers.
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: