Friday, July 8, 2016

Too Much Violence

One day a person is shot and killed during an encounter with police. The next day a person is shot and killed during a routine traffic stop.  The next day a number of police officers are shot by snipers.
I read these accounts just like you do.  I listen to reports just like you do.  I try to formulate some cogent thought about what in the world is going on.  But I feel stymied.  What is there to say?
I read the Psalms this morning and started with Psalm 36:1; "I have a message from God in my heart...."  My thought was, "I really wish I did."
My experience with racism and the accompanying evils and challenges leaves me without much to offer the larger context.  I mean, when I was little I was taught that if you were in trouble, scared, lost or needed anything...look for a policeman.  They will help.
Many of you reading this have a similar experience.  That attitude is totally opposite what a black father or mother must tell their little one: If you see a policeman keep your head down, comply, don't resist.  They are not your friend.
In this world of opposites what on earth do I have to offer?  But there is something to offer.
Our President responds to the challenge to make official statements about these social issues, especially the on-going violence we witness against the black community.  There are mayors who make statements; police chiefs make statements; preachers enter the fray with something to say.
We all talk with friends or family and we make our own statements.  We have questions.  We seek to engage a culture with tremendously different world views.
So it comes to me to confess that I don't have a statement to make.  But I do have something to offer.  I have decided to be grateful for President Obama when he addresses issues of police shooting black people.  I have decided to be grateful and listen to the many voices that enter the dialogue.
My contribute must come from my faith perspective.  So much of this violence is based on fear.  So the word from the Church could include "There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear..." (I John 4:18)
The Church stands up to and speaks against injustice.
The Church mourns with those who mourn.
The Church builds up one another in love.
The Church offers light in darkness.
The Church provides salt to preserve and flavor the culture.
The Church points to another way.
The Church offers hope.
The Church offers Christ to a hurting, confused, distressed, lost world.
The Church offers Christ who loves all with a life-changing, culture transforming, world difference making love.
Perhaps none of us - activists, injustices fighters, racism exposeers, law enforcers, front-line engagers and the Church - people like you and me - have the whole answer.  But together we can make a difference.  Would you seek to do your part?  Who would God call you to offer a word of hope to?  How might you provide encouragement and support?  Are there police officers in your family, among your friends or your church who desperately need to know that we are praying for them?  Are there minorities who are fearful and hurting that desperately need to know your are providing support?
I still question what I have to contribute to the national debate.  I still wonder what I have to say that could make a difference.  But I dare to believe.  I dare to hope.  I dare to trust that the Church - what you and I have to offer - may contribute along with the other voices - to something beyond our capacity to create.  May God use us - May God use all - to point to healing, hope, change.
Our contribution: "Love one another."
Steve

No comments: