Sunday, July 24, 2016

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Thanks to Jamie Grayson and Keith Cash for sharing their hearts today in worship.  We were able to model conversation and communication around the issue of racism.  I found it refreshing to have such an encouraging conversation in light of the current realities in our nation.  You may access the message through our website - www.plattewoodschurch.org and go to messages.
On another note...
This has been an eventful fall and summer.  I had the privilege of representing you at General, Annual and Jurisdictional Conferences.  Some good things happen and some things leave us in on-going struggle.  But we do know that God will prevail.  Consider it a blessing to be able to walk with God through some of the most interesting and challenging times we have known.
I finished teaching a course on theology this week where I worked with 15 local pastors in the Course of Study program at St. Paul School of Theology.  As always this was a joy.
On another note...
We pray for one another.  Please pray for Rev. Ginger Pudenz as she is scheduled for surgery this Tuesday.  We anticipate a great result and Ginger will be back in the middle of things in a few days.  Pray.
On another note...
Today begins a few days off for Cindy and me.  I do find it hard to slow things down but am looking forward to a couple of weeks at a different pace.  In the meantime everything is in good hands.
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

2 comments:

Bob Hummel said...

Steve, today the service was enlightening and I was very glad that I was in church this morning. Sometimes we need to be confronted with our fears to learn what we must do to make our community better. Thank you for today. Blessings Bob

A. Quintin Smith said...

It was great to hear from Mr. Grayson and Mr. Cash. What great hearts they have. Here was my take on today's sermon and what I posted on my own facebook page.
How does the world look today?
The message in church this morning was simple. What if love was the law of the land. What if the mission was to care for one another? Our church is predominately white middle class and upper middle class but our leadership includes some very bright and wonderful African American families. This was their message today. They love our church and the church loves them and that's the best way to overcome prejudice and misunderstanding. Our world looks brighter and stronger when we stand together in spite of our differences. Let me ask again, how does your world look today? Does it hold anger or intolerance? What if love was your law today? Would your world be a better place? What if your mission was only to care despite our differences? Try it. Build a bridge and tear down the wall. Love will conquer all. Like Bob I was glad I was in church this morning. The three of you made a good team in front of the church. I didn't see color but Christian men leading and I wanted to follow. Thanks for doing this sermon it was much needed and good timing.
Andy Smith