Sunday, October 26, 2014

Reflections From Sunday Evening

We have experienced a wedding weekend in the Breon family. Our son Bobby married Leslie Jones yesterday evening. I had the opportunity to officiate the service. That was a very unique thing to do! Thankfully by God's grace I got through it fine. Weddings have certainly changed over the years. I have heard the story of my mom and dad's "wedding". They went to the Methodist preacher's house (parsonage) for the wedding. It was dad, his brother, mom and her best friend and the preacher. After being pronounced man and wife they went to mom's house where my grandma had fixed lunch! When Cindy and I got married we had a nice but simple service in Cindy's home church, Ohio Street United Methodist in Butler, Mo. Cindy's pastor and mine shared in the ceremony. From the service we went down to the church basement for a cake and punch reception. Things are different today. We had the ceremony and reception in the same place. It was a downtown K.C. venue. It certainly made it easier on the grandparents! It was a true celebration of marriage. I really appreciate what the best man had to say about my son. I loved the part about his true friendship and character. Good to hear! I suppose wedding ceremonies are different all over the world. They have changed down through history. Hopefully there is a common thread that runs through Christian marriage through the ages. "We are gathered together to unite this man and this woman in Holy Matrimony. Which is an honorable estate. Instituted by God and signifying the mystical union which exists between Christ and his Church, which holy estate Christ adorned and beautified with his presence in Cana of Galilee..." Whether in ancient times in a place called Cana, with a family that has had their story told for centuries yet remain unnamed; or a ceremony in a parsonage in 1952, or a church wedding in 1972, or a modern wedding in 2014, the common thread remains Jesus Christ. Last night was another reminder to me that Christ "adorns and beautifies" marriage. For you who live in this "holy estate of matrimony" I pray you experience a renewal of Jesus Christ in your marriage. He continues to "adorn and beautify" today. It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: