Sunday, March 9, 2014

Reflections From Sunday Evening

It was great to have a good weather day. Our crowd at church reflected people feeling good to get out and come to church. My highlight came during the 11:00 service when during the sermon I noticed a tennis ball roll to the front of the church almost at my feet. I must admit that was a bit of a distraction and rather than trying to ignore it I simple stepped down to the floor and picked it up. I had no idea where it came from but quickly a girls (yes Jordan)dad pointed her out. He gave her up quickly! I noticed a name on the ball. I gave it back and went on with the service. In case anyone wonders why we have tennis balls rolling around the church there is a very good reason. In confirmation class the students get a tennis ball. Their name is written on the ball and another member of the class takes their ball and they become the person they pray for. I picture tennis balls for prayer flying around classrooms but they only roll on the floor in the sanctuary. It seems very appropriate that the tennis ball with a confirmand's name on it would roll forward to the communion rail during worship. This is where we come to meet with God. This is where we come to pray. The symbolism is clear. The confirmation class brings one another forward for prayer! It made for a great day. It is a tremendous joy to serve the people of Platte Woods UMC. Today was yet another reminder of the blessed place we gather to know, worship and serve the Lord. It's been a great day. I hope you've had a great day too. steve

2 comments:

Bob Hummel said...

Some Pastors would be offended by the tennis ball and you turned it into a positive! I like that and that is why we are soooo lucky to have you as our pastor. We are truly blessed.

A. Quintin Smith said...

Ditto what Bob said.