Sunday, March 23, 2014

Reflections From Sunday Evening

I decided not to fill out an NCAA tournament bracket this year. I was very intentional about not filling out the "Buffett Billion" bracket. I thought about it and decided the odds of winning (1:9.2 quintillion) were just too much of a risk that I would win. What would it do to my life to have one billion dollars? After 56% taxes there would be 440 million dollars. After tithing there would be 340 million dollars. What would I do with that much money? Frankly that would cost my the ministry I have been called to and the life God has given. The opportunity to give away most of the money would be pretty cool. But what about the "first one out" (to use an NCAA tournament phrase)? After you pay off the house and any other debts as well as helping your family there would still be more money than I would make in 100 lifetimes. So my day would be spent setting up charitable foundations, managing money and slipping into the worry of trying not to lose what I had. I would have to learn an entirely new set of skills. Frankly the temptation would probably prove to much for me. So I did not want to risk winning. I could have set up our church forever. There are problems with that. If I did that we would soon forget about our own generosity and the spiritual discipline of stewardship. Again, too risky. I've decided that my gift is not making large sums of money. I know people who have been gifted in this way. That is tremendous. My place is to help you be a great rich person. I can help you find how to be generous. I have great respect for the people I know with significant resources. I actually make a very good salary and the majority of people in the world would consider me "very rich." But I am not sure if I would be a great rich person. Proverbs 30:8 sums up what feels right for me. "...Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. (v. 9) Otherwise I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God." There is no question in my mind that riches are better than poverty. (Poverty is a bad thing). Still riches pose unique challenges to followers of Christ. Frankly I have plenty on my plate to give leadership to the church and seek to serve the church in a Spirit-led manner. I don't have time to figure out what to do with millions of dollars. Now should someone desire to give millions of dollars to our church I definitely have some ideas! So there you have it. That's why I did not fill out the "Buffett Billion Brackett." The odds of winning were simply too great and represented more risk that I could take. It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. Oops. There went another bracket buster. (Had I filled out a bracket I would not have lasted past Thursday morning!) blessings, steve

No comments: