Sunday, March 30, 2014

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Today Pastor Christine shared a powerful story in her message. She was one of three pastors in the context of worship in a congregation primarily serving the homeless community of our city. In the midst of worship a man (Ice Pick) came up to her saying he needed to talk to her right then. In his words, "I feel like I need to kill somebody today." When Christine turned from the front row where she and the man were standing and headed up the aisle to a room where they could talk an amazing thing took place. Those in the congregation had no knowledge of the conversation. But when they saw their pastor and this man walking up the aisle a number of homeless men stepped out of the pews and followed them to the room where they could talk. These men stood at the entry to that place like "angels" protecting their pastor. Of course Christine tells it much better but I hope you get the idea. I thought it was a great image. Intuitively men sensed their pastor could be in need and stood in support. It is a good reminder that we are never alone. God can raise up a cadre of homeless men to stand in support. God can provide all the support and encouragement any of us might need. God may also use you and me among the support systems for others. But we are never alone. It was a great reminder for me. I trust you will be encouraged by the image as well. It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: