Sunday, September 5, 2010

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Garrison Keillor might begin by saying, "Well it's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, my hometown." I could say the same. "It's been a quiet and nice week in K.C. - my town!" Cindy and I have been off this week. Doing stuff around the house - supper at Andrea's one night - a short trip to visit Mom and Dad (ate a bunch of homemade ice cream) - high school football - out to Baker for the game Saturday evening - staying up later and sleeping in (about 6:30 seems to be as late as I can sleep) - visiting another church today and then saw some of our friends - a couple more jobs around the house tomorrow and then back to it.

It was a quiet week in Appleton City, my hometown. Went on a drive with Mom and Dad and Cindy. We drove east of town and turned south on the country road where we lived as I was growing up. I looked to the west and where the houses (Bartimus and Beard) used to be there was a field. We came to the house I grew up in and it has changed a lot.

Something shrunk. Outside the house is a yard light. Southeast of the light is a milkbarn. The distance between the two must have shrunk. It was under that light that I used to take a plastic ball bat and hit rocks toward the milkbarn. It represented the right field line. Must have been at least 330 feet. Between rocks and plastic whiffle balls I must have hit hundreds of homers (in addition to breaking every window in the barn multiple times!). But the other day it was only a few feet away. Time makes things seem shorter.

So many things seem shorter. Days off, vacations, time itself seems to quicken the pace. I suppose I could make a case for everything seeming to go so much faster - therefore shorter - except sermons! That is where I get caught in the moment and tend to stop time. Maybe I'll teach you how to listen to sermons in the same way and we'll all be happy!

It's been a great day - a great week. I hope you've had a good day too and may your Labor Day give you one more group of moments to be thankful for the gift of work, labor and meaning.

Blessings.

No comments: