Friday, September 10, 2010

the eve of 9-11

Don't burn a Quran - read one if you feel like doing something. Personally I wouldn't read it for inspiration but rather for information. And some information about the Islamic faith would not hurt those of us who are committed, dedicated and sincere about following Jesus Christ.
Sometime tomorrow I will remember those events of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center 9 years ago. I'll remember Vanessa, our administrative assistant calling the church to tell us what had just happened. I'll remember setting up the television sets and watching those attacks - over and over and over. I'll remember the session with a couple I was trying to lead and finally giving up and telling them we need to try again later. I'll remember lines on the street outside the church to get gas. I'll think about going on the 5:30 a.m. show at a local tv station and talking about our Christian perspective on the events. At least I had the sense to tell people our response should not be revenge. We need not be agressors against Muslim Americans and we would come through this. I'll remember the noon service we hosted at our downtown church and how the sanctuary was filled with people coming to sing and pray. I'll remember.
We all remember. I would really like for us to remember the heroic deeds of that day. I'd like to remember the courage exhibited by so many in so many ways. I'd like to remember prayers, support, encouragement, care, help. There are so many amazing things for us to remember.
I'd also like for us to get past some of these misguided responses we see these days. Please pastor, you don't need to get your flock together and burn a Quran. We Americans just don't do that. Sure we get our Christian values stomped on from time to time but we don't stop praying, forgiving and loving people - even those who choose not to love us. We don't need to build ourselves up by tearing down someone else. We don't have to focus on an enemy to find inspiration to move forward. We don't need to be defined by what we are against.
So there is a lot for us to think about on this eve of 9-11 and through the day tomorrow.
Remember - to pray - to thank God that He is still at work among us - to exhibit the best of our Christian values - to follow Jesus.
blessings,
steve

No comments: