Sunday, June 28, 2009

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Let me start by saying this was a good day. The series on Young's book The Shack went very well. I sensed the Lord among us as we looked at the theme of forgiveness today. I'm glad I didn't miss it.
Which brings me to another thought. Transistor radios. I had my transistor when I was a little kid and used it to listen to the Kansa City A's baseball games. I did not miss a game (or so it seems now.) In the early 60's you didn't dare miss one of those games because they only won ever week or so and you didn't want to miss it. That transistor radio made it so I didn't miss anything.
I used my transistor radio in other ways. I listened to WHB 710 am. Phil Jay, Johnny Dolan - they were some of the deejays. They played top 40 songs. Those were the childhood days of rock 'n roll. I made up this game where I used a golf ball like a baseball in the milkbarn. It had concrete walls and floor and helped the old reflexes when I used it as a ball field. I broke every window in the place at least once. Thanks dad, for not getting mad or making me stop. I listened to WHB while I played hour after hour.
I listened to one of those A's games one night on my transistor radio, while I was hitting rocks with a plastic bat in the driveway. (It was good to live in the country - the only windows I broke were in that same milkbarn. Orlando Pena was a pitcher for the A's. One night I listened and he hit a grand slam homerun. I'm glad I didn't miss that. Especially since that may have been the hear he lost 20 games - which is pretty hard to do.
I still had a transistor radion when I went to college. Cindy got me a set of golf clubs and I took a class and started playing. In those days the golf course in Baldwin City, Ks. had sand greens. I guess it is still a sand green course. It really works better for a cross country course than a golf course but that is where I started to play. I paid $25 for an annual family membership with unlimited play. If I could get that deal at the National I'd start playing golf again! Anyway, I would play practically every day. And take my transistor radio with me so I wouldn't miss the K.C. Royals games.
The bottom line is that since I was a little kid I've not wanted to miss things that were important to me. Baseball games - whatever I could get on my transistor radio. Times have changed. Now it's an Ipod. Nobody does transistor radios anymore. But I still don't like to miss things.
Now here is the jump. I come to church week after week (I know it is pretty much expected of me but I really think I'd want to be here even if I didn't have to) because I find that God is among us. God does amazing things. And I don't want to MISS anything God is doing.
Today was a good day not to miss. It was a good day to reflect on the forgiving grace of God. I think it helped me to develop that idea of not wanting to miss anything when I was a kid - I still don't want to miss anything.
I hope you've had a good day.
steve

No comments: