Sunday, January 15, 2017

Reflections From Sunday Evening

I found the morning less than satisfactory.  That is not because we sang poorly or the preaching was lacking.  No.  We cancelled services this morning.  I heeded the best information we could get.  I look out and there is no snow on the ground.  It is not that cold.  I walked out and discovered it is slick out.  - Didn't fall down or anything, just got out enough to know it is slick.
Could we have made it to church?  Probably everyone would have been fine.  Is guaranteeing safety the most important thing we do in the church?  No.  But all things considered we will make the most of the day.
I watched North Point Community Church (Andy Stanley) and The United Methodist Church of the Resurrection (Adam Hamilton) on line.  That is pretty amazing that we can worship across the country and hear something from the Lord.
But it is not the same.  I missed the fellowship of being with you.  I missed the music.  I missed the conversations we have.  I missed watching a young person walk forward and light candles.  I missed preaching.  I missed ...
I believe we made a good, responsible decision to stay home today.
But we'll be back.  I'm already looking forward to next weekend when we can trust the weather will be more cooperative and again we will join together and worship the Lord.
It's been a ... different day.
I pray you've had a great day.
steve

2 comments:

Patricia D. said...

Just one degree difference in the temperature though, things would have been worse. It was good seeing you last night. (Sang the songs to myself as I didn't want to start coughing because I sang them out loud.) Continue to enjoy your day. Go Chiefs! (Just think, Steve, the NFL delayed the game until tonight because they thought it was going to be bad and they wanted the fans to be safe!)

Unknown said...

Steve, I am thankful we had the opportunity to have worship Sat. night, knowing we
would never have stepped out this morning with an icy driveway, icy side streets, even though reports were that our highways were fine. I know that our church would have had all the precautionary measures set in place, had we not cancelled today's services. BUT, I thought of all the people that it takes to have worship, SS, choirs, etc for a Sunday and was happy they didn't have to worry with today's questionable weather.