Sunday, November 20, 2016

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Something I have been thinking about is seeking to be "authentic".  I'm not sure where I got the idea that this should be a point of emphasis in my life but it is.  I am not really sure what authenticity will look like in my life.  I try not to be a "phony".  I try not to be duplicitous.  (I think I know what that means).  But it seems like authenticity is a good thing to pay attention to and seek to nurture.
Here was my test for authenticity.  I had an occasion to dress up.  I don't do these black-tie things much but the other night presented one of those times.  I thought about it and decided an authentic thing to do would be get a "real" bow tie.  Anytime I wear a bow tie it is a clip on.  But in the interest of being authentic I thought get a tie and tie it.  So Cindy got me a real bow tie.
I read the directions.  I looked at a utube on tying a bow tie.  Never did figure it out.  My quest for authenticity was failing.  But not to be deterred I asked for help.  So Cindy tied the tie and I wore it the other night.  Somewhat authentic.
I will not give up.  I believe I will be able to tie a bow tie by December 6 when I dress up again to serve at the Ladies Christmas Tea.
Authentically yours,
steve

No comments: