Sunday, November 1, 2015

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Let's talk baseball! Baseball is an absolutely great game. We start playing when we are little kids. I think of playing baseball when I was a little guy. We played and had fun. We learned everything about the game. It was all new to us. We learned how to hold the bat and swing correctly. We learned how to catch the ball and throw it. We learned how to get in the right position and what to do when the ball came our way. As we get older the game gets more difficult. The pitcher throws harder. They start to throw curve balls. We adapt. We grow with the game. On a summer day we may remember days when a bunch of kids got together and played until dark or we lost the ball. I remember throwing a ball against the barn door. There is no way of knowing how many rocks I hit with various ball bats. Maybe we find ourselves at the "K" on a late July or August afternoon. It is a lazy day. We find the ballpark to be a place to relax. We look at the well manicured green grass. Our mind wanders. We hear the crack of the bat and the crowd cheers. We watch the play unfold and then settle back in to enjoy the pace and the peace of baseball. Today we see a big difference in July baseball and October baseball! In October every pitch holds a grip on our attention. Every pitch, every play has the potential to bring delight or despair. My heart beats faster just watching the World Series. I actually tried to NOT watch game four. It is Saturday night. I get up early on Sunday. I have things to do. I decide to go to bad after the sixth inning. I actually fall asleep for an inning. Then the Royals come to life. I hear a cheer from the living room. Cindy is cheering for our team. I hear a notification on my phone. Tie game. I hear another cry of joy from the living room. Royals take the lead. I lay there but my mind is now engaged. Another cheer from the living room. Another run for the Royals. I get up to watch. The idea of a two run lead with six outs to go is too stressful. I still have to get up in the morning. I lay there trying to not think about the game. Finally I hear one more sound from the living room. I check the game. One out and two on base. Then I hear this cry of delight from the other room. Cindy is celebrating the win. I go watch the celebration. Baseball. I said all that to think about the church. For many church is a place of nurture and comfort. It is a place where we find peace. It is like a summer afternoon. Then I think of church as October baseball. There is intensity from the heart of God. There is so much more at stake than there is in a baseball game. There is eternal significance in everything done. The Holy Spirit drives us to the Cross. The Holy Spirit sends us into mission. There are new discoveries in the life of grace that jump into our hearts. There is an intensity of Spirit that is absolutely life changing, community changing, nation awakening and world altering! The Church is alive with the Holy Spirit. It is even more exciting - even better than October baseball. It's been a great day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: