Friday, November 21, 2014

Praying for Ferguson

We are anticipating the grand jury findings to be released soon. Ferguson, Mo. is being watched by people all over the world. I am certainly at a loss to fully grasp the entirety of the situation but feel a strong need to remember all the people involved in prayer. Rev. Willis Johnson is our United Methodist pastor serving Well Spring UMC in Ferguson. I would ask everyone to pray for Willis as he stands in the midst of the pain, anger and hope. This situation seems so far away and yet it is directly in our minds. Like many of you I have conflicting feelings. Being a white male living in the suburbs I have no idea what it is like to be a minority person experiencing life in Ferguson, Mo. I have always (and continue) to respect and appreciate the police. I know current and former police officers who I have the deepest respect for. My perspective has always been that they do a tremendous public service and put their lives on the line for our benefit. However there are many whose experience is much different. I realize that in the Black community father's must teach their sons and daughters how to avoid or how to respond to the police. That experience is far removed from my own and most of the members of our congregation. Let me simply say there are different perspectives regarding what must take place in Ferguson, Mo. There are some things I am confident should be done. Number one is pray for peace. No one wants a violent situation to break out. Number two is listen to the cry of any who are oppressed. There are voices that must be heard. May they ring out with clarity and contribute to peace and a better world. While we await the outcome of the grand jury I invite you to prayerfully seek the Prince of Peace. Surely the risen Lord has all the people involved inscribed on his heart. I am praying the Holy Spirit cause justice and peace to rise up. Could we set aside our personal thoughts and perspectives and ask that God's grace reach all people? Praying for hope, understanding, justice and peace. Still searching for answers and the best response. Steve

No comments: