Sunday, September 8, 2013

Reflections From Sunday Evening

We had a blessed time at church this weekend. Off we go to talk about establishing an environment where people will meet Jesus Christ for decades to come; an environment where people will deepen their love for God and others and grow in faith for years to come. It is always super to experience worship at PWUMC. We talked about gratitude today. I think about what is happening in the world and am reminded yet again of much I have to be thankful for. We gather to worship. Many families get together and go to lunch or home to watch the football game. Certainly we have our ups and downs but by and large life is blessed. I am thankful. Contrast our current experience with the way of life being lived in Syria. I cannot imagine what it is like to live in the midst of a civil war. The reports of death and destruction are devastating. I truly wish I had the right answer for any potential American involvement. The debate continues on whether or not America should initiate a missile attack. Here is merely one more reason I could never be the president of the United States. I have never really considered myself a true pacifist but I have always been deeply troubled by the realities of war. In the last century or so there has been an attempt to develop some "rules" for war. Of course the use of chemical weapons is against the new rules. We can try to "tame" war all we want. The truth is war is an absolutely horrible thing. The realities of war would fit Dante's image of hell very well. War will not be tamed. Some consider war an essential "last resort." Some see war as an appropriate political response to very bad situations. You know the arguments. President Obama must decide if the suspected use of chemical weapons by the Syrian government warrants our involvement through missile strikes. Many Americans are "war weary" and strongly resist any American involvement. Some argue that it is our responsibility to act in the face of evil. There is historical precedent for such involvement. If I get a call this week and am asked what we should do my response would be do not resort to any military option. I would pray we be able to use all means short of force to effect change and peace for people anywhere in the world. That is the opinion of a pastor, not a military leader. I pray the children of Syria will be able to go outside and play. Children in every country should be able to go out and play in safety. I pray families will be able to walk safely down their streets. I pray for peace. I will continue to pray that the River of Life, as depicted in the Book of Revelation, flow from the throne of God and bring peace to the nations. I also will continue to pray for our president and our leaders to make wise decisions. May God step forth and make a way where there seems to be no way. It's been a good day - though the specter of war clouds our joy. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: