Sunday, February 6, 2011

Reflections From Sunday (Super Bowl) Evening

I remember the first Super Bowl. Sat down and watched the K.C. Chiefs play Green Bay. It seemed like a pretty neat deal at the time. Chiefs gave them a decent game for the first half before the Packers pulled away and won easily. It was the NFL - AFL Championship Game - soon it would be renamed the "Super Bowl." It's turned into a pretty big deal.

I remember some other things - I remember my grandparents - I remember friends and teachers from school days - I remember getting baptized, confirmed and joining the church -
Frankly the Super Bowl has gotten to be a bigger deal than me being baptized - or is it?
We can look all around us and see huge events every day. We may marvel at the interest in two football teams getting together and playing a game. But are these events really "bigger" than a person coming to Christ? Are these memories greater than those of family and friends?
100,000 may cheer at the Super Bowl today - when a person comes to Christ the angels in heaven rejoice.

Two teams will meet and compete for the prize - Our team (the Church) goes out every day to 'compete' for the hearts and souls of people.

By tonight one team will be a "winner" and the other will be relegated to the "team that got beat" status - Through faith in Jesus Christ we get to join the eternally "winning" team.
On this "Super Sunday" I hope some memories will be created. I pray something significant happens in your life today and that it makes the Super Bowl look like everyday stuff.
It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Terrific! Puts life & events into true perspective. Thanks!