Sunday, September 6, 2009

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Labor Day weekend is not one of our "high holy" days but we still had good attendance and a great spirit in worship today. I always come away from church with a song in my heart. It may be a hymn, a chorus or even "Jesus is Just Alright With Me!" but our music stirs the soul. Thanks to all who make it happen.
At the 11:00 service I realized during communion that we had a family from another religious tradition. It seemed neat that I had specifically addressed different world religions and was not aware of this family. I noticed them during communion as one of our members was taking time to explain what we were doing. That is so important. After church the family was delighted to have been present with us. I look forward to following up with them.
One of the amazing things about preaching is how we end up speaking to ourselves! If you heard the closing illustration today you understand how important I believe it is to not only have Jesus know our name but to know Him as well. I pray that this week when I meet the risen Lord Jesus in some person, circumstance or place that I fully recognize the One who knows my name.
It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. (I am going to need to change this before long since Charlie Gibson has announced his retirement!) But for now.....
steve

No comments: