Sunday, December 10, 2017

Reflections From Sunday Evening

I spend most of the year encouraging, prodding, pushing (gently of course), challenging, visioning, and leading people to step out of their comfort zone.  Preaching does this nearly every time the Word is proclaimed.  There is a new insight or a new step of faith to take. 
Well, this is the weekend where the tables are turned.  This is the weekend I get pushed out of my comfort zone and do something I am not comfortable doing.  This was "cantata weekend".  This is the only weekend in the year I get close enough to the Wesleyan Choir to actually share in their ministry.  Oh, I don't sing. (That would not even qualify for a comfort zone challenge - that would be more like a - I don't know what that would be).  I narrate the cantata. 
That means I have to follow along and get up and read at the right time.  I suppose it would help if I knew more about reading music than this is a note, it goes up or down, and I wonder what that is? 
I am thankful we get to practice.  During the rehearsal it came time for me to do my first reading and of course I had no idea it was time for me to do the first reading.  Uh, "Dr. Breon".  Oh, this is where I start.  Thanks Walter.
After the first time through on Saturday night I was asked if I skipped a line on purpose.  Of course I did not know there was another line to skip. 
But when all was said and done things went great.  The choir was amazing.  All the musicians do superb work.  Nancy Sitzman, pianist, is as good as they come.  And then there is Walter.  What a gift.
I thought about the music and all the detail that goes into something like this.  There are a lot of notes to play!  It is specific.  It requires timing and pace.  Everyone needs to be together.  Individuals do solos (wow to Michael Short and Abby Morris) j\but it truly is a group effort.
This is so different from preaching.  I find preaching nearly relaxing but this narration thing calls for detail like nothing else I do.  It makes me tense.  Therefore, out of the comfort zone.
And at the end of the day it is great to know I joined with others in doing something that ministered to others in a way outside my norm. 
So, until the next time, I take a deep breathe and say "thank you Lord, for not letting me mess the thing up and actually doing my part."  I know you will want to follow suit and look for ways to step outside your comfort zone in service to others.
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: