Sunday, December 3, 2017

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Burt Jolley was shopping for the Christmas baskets this week.  He was puzzled with "Christmas Candy."  We had a conversation about "what is Christmas candy?"  That was followed by the remark "that can't be that old, hard candy, can it?"
Well, I can't answer exactly what was in mind when "Christmas Candy" was listed as part of the Christmas basket. 
Personally I like chocolate covered cherries.  They are like, 12 for a dollar.  Others have delicious fudge, peanut butter balls, candy canes, peppermint bark (now that is tasty), white chocolate pretzels...the list goes on and on. 
But why not "Old Fashioned Christmas Candy?"  You can purchase 2 pounds of it for $24.99.  It includes cut rock candy, baby ribbons, straws, chips, waffles, and pinwheels.  I think mainly of the ribbon, hard candy.  It includes various colors and flavors.  Do you remember?
My church would give us kids a sack filled with nuts, an orange and hard candy.  Frankly, we were happy to receive it.  Do you get the idea things were simpler in those days? 
I never knew anyone who got a new car with a bow on it for Christmas.  (Still don't.)  What I remember is excited anticipation.  I remember happy smiles. 
I'm not sure if I want to go out and get some "hard Christmas candy" but it might really be something worth having.  As long as it puts a smile on someone's face and some joy in their heart. 
Let's look for ways to do that this year as we join together on our Christmas journey. 
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: