Sunday, December 7, 2014

Reflections From Sunday Evening

I think I am breaking up with Starbucks! For the past 11 years I have enjoyed Starbucks coffee. I have picked it up through drive-throughs. I have gotten it to go. I have enjoyed sitting and reading and conversing with others. I get coffee beans to take home and grind. I have read Howard Schult's book on Starbucks. I have read other books about Starbucks. I have used them in sermon illustrations! I have been loyal. I keep paying a crazy amount for a cup of coffee. I have not stopped liking Starbucks. I may in fact still drop in once in a while. But it looks like I am done as a regular Starbucks consumer. It was not a really awful thing that happened. It came time to reload my card. I do enjoy taking my iPhone and paying right there. Anyway it was time to reload. So I clicked on. I even know my password! I got a message. I needed to update my card. I put in my new expiration date. Then I was denied. So I tried again...and again...and again...I emailed their customer service. They were sorry. Try another card. I do not want to try another card. There is no reason this should not work. I tried some more. Still rejected! So I have decided to move along. It may sound petty. Am I just stubborn? But can't a guy expect basic customer service from a favorite establishment? So now I am grinding Roasterie (or whatever that stuff from Kansas City is). I am not opposed to coming back some day. If they get this thing straightened out and I can use my "gold card" I could be back. I will still drop in some. If I have a Starbuck card for a stocking stuffer it will not be wasted. But a regular customer? I am not sure. Then it hit me. There are a number of people who have a similar experience with the Church. It's just some little thing but it hits us wrong. Loyalty turns to "done". People are not really mad. They are just let down. People don't stop believing in God. (I still drink coffee!) They simply cease participating in worship. Loyalty is not a value anymore. People may drop by once in a while but those days of serving, giving and attending become a thing of the past. This hits me. I do not want anyone becoming a "done" with regard to the church and especially faith in Christ. Should I go ahead and just load another card? Does it really matter? Am I just being hard to get along with? Am I being stubborn? Will I really give up something good that I enjoy just because? Time will tell. In spite of that... It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: