Monday, June 9, 2014

Reflections From Sunday Evening (actually Monday - Annual Conference)

Bishop Schnase annually reminds us of the earliest Methodist conference. John Wesley wrote; "In June 1744, I desired my brother and a few other clergymen to meet me in London, to consider how we should proceed to save our own souls and those who heard us. After some time, I invited the lay preachers that were in the house to meet with us. We conferred together for several days and were much comforted and strengthened thereby." My first experiences with United Methodist Annual Conferences did not fit that style. I was introduced to conference as a time of debate, discussion and division. It was more of a legislative session where the best organized ended up with more votes on a number of issues that left some happy, some angry and many confused. Times have changed. I just returned home from Springfield where the Missouri Conference met from Friday through noon today. There was never a debate or argument on the conference floor. The conference budget (which was decreased slightly) and an initiative to reduce the number of districts was passed in less than 5 minutes. In my early days this would take over 2 hours. Times have changed. We did worship. We had outstanding learning sessions. Adam Hamilton offered great teaching. We enjoyed fellowship with one another. We received our appointments for the coming year. Ginger Pudenz, Christine Tucker-Key and Jessica Richard were re-appointed to PWUMC. Jacob Schneider and Kyle Butler were also appointed to serve at PWUMC. And I was appointed for my 10th year to serve as the senior pastor. We represent over 850 churches. There are 1000 pastors, both active and retired. We agree on many things and strongly disagree with one another on others. But we find ourselves engaged in a common mission to "make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world." I felt it was a good conference and furthered our work. My soul was encouraged and in the weeks ahead I trust that many of the ideas and things that touched my soul will be shared so as to touch yours. May we be strengthened and comforted. It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

No comments: