Sunday, October 24, 2010

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Just got back from "Trunk 'R' Treat." Wow. Must have been a kazillion youngsters at church. Great to see all the youth and adult helpers. Many tables filled with treats for kids - some from church and many guests. Always good to help someone have a good experience at church.

It's been some football weekend. All my high school teams (Appleton City - my high school - Park Hill and Park Hill South) won, Baker (my college) won. MU (my preferred team) won, Chiefs won. So a perfect weekend.

Church this weekend was a joy. We may have been down a little if some of our folks ended up arrested for rushing the field at MU last night but don't know of any at this moment (just kidding on that).

This week I was getting a haircut. The girl cutting my hair looked like she was about 9 years old! In the course of conversation she referred to her boyfried. I asked where they met. She told me at a tattoo parlor. I thought that was interesting - at least it was a first for me. So we talked about tattoos for a little bit. Somehow the conversation turned to church. Ended up telling her I was a pastor at Platte Woods Church. Here is the interesting part. She did not ask if we were Protestant or Catholic, Methodist or Baptist or Lutheran, or Presbyterian. She did not ask if we did contemporary worship or traditional. What she did ask was this. "Are you one of the churches that helps people when they need things?" I was so glad to be able to say "yes." Got to talk a little bit about Faith in Action.

The conversation really gave me some insight. People all around us who do not go to church really don't care about our labels or inner issues. People - especially younger people - want to know what we do.

As we serve others in the name of Jesus Christ we extend the mission of the church - We enhance relationships - We do incarnational (represent Jesus in the world) ministry. This is the hope for the church to be difference makers in this generation.

It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too.

Blessings.

No comments: