Sunday, October 3, 2010

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Today I had the opportunity to speak to the Seekers Class. The topic dealt with how we listen to God. Most of us would love to hear God speak to us - a few think God just might do so. I am among those who believe God speaks to people. So here are some of the thoughts shared.

God does speak to us but not often in audible, dramatic ways.

  • Read 1 Kings 19. God comes to the prophet Elijah in a "still small voice."
  • In 1 Samuel God speaks to a young boy as he is trying to get to sleep. God speaks quietly.

The two words I use to help describe the manner in which God speaks are "Nudge" and "Whisper." Rather than blaring his way into our lives God moves in ways that we must be seeking after and listening for or we tend to miss it.

Bill Hybels' new book Whisper is a great read to help us discover how to discern (that's another of my key words these days) the voice of God.

So God does speak. God tends to communicate in ways that call for our attention. (Now you'll probably walk outside, the heavens will open and the voice of God will come from heaven - but if not ...)

I've come to the conclusion that God desires to speak to us and it is my responsibility to listen. With that in mind I pray like this.

"Lord, today I seek to HEAR your voice,
to KNOW (discernment is important) your voice
and for grace to OBEY your every word."

The next prayer is to be "increasingly SENSITIVE to the PROMPTINGS of the Holy Spirit."

I invite you to join me in spending intentional time with God this week. I invite you to join me in the above prayers. Furthermore I invite you to share what you hear God saying to you. We are coming to a time in the life of our church where I believe it is vitally important that more and more of us earnestly seek the Lord - with a commitment to do what God says. We live in such challenging times - we face so many challenges in the life of the church - that we must look to and listen for God.

It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too.

Blessings.

No comments: