Sunday, August 30, 2009

Reflections From Sunday Evening

If you heard the sermon today you know I was talking about what I would need to do in order to be a better golfer. It sounds like a great idea. I'd love to play golf regularly. I'd like to hit the ball straight and far. I'd love to be able to chip and putt. For this to happen a couple of things must happen.
  1. Take lessons. I went over that. I would need someone to instruct me in the fundamentals. It is important to do things correctly - grip, stance, swing. Then ...
  2. Practice. Hit balls - practice chipping - putting - all the different shots - get consistent.
Practice takes commitment. Time - energy - focus - expense. I doubt many were surprised when I said right now, it's not going to happen. At this point in life I am not willing to set aside the time, use the energy, place and focus and commit the expense to being a better golfer.
Many people consider the spiritual life but when it comes to needing to practice - spiritual disciplines - prayer - Bible reading - Christian conferencing - worship - they decide not to pursue it. Not now. Maybe later.

People are not against the Lord. Some will come to worship occasionally (just as I still play in the church golf tournament!). But there is a real challenge to making a commitment to the spiritual life.

It all fit together pretty well this weekend. It was funny - I got blessed preaching the sermon! The worship - baptism - commissioning a mission team to go to Greensburg, Kan., next weekend - youth sitting together in good numbers - the choirs - the praise team - special music - youth ushers - Wow. It was a good day. I hope you've had a good day too.

No comments: