Sunday, February 22, 2009

Reflections From Sunday Evening

In an hour the Academy Awards will come on. I think it's pretty neat that many people have "awards parties." People get together after having seen all the movies nominated for best picture and other awards. I tend to get together to watch sports events but not the Academy Awards. I'll read about it in the paper tomorrow. Or I might try to stay up and see who wins best picture.

I've only seen one of the pictures nominated for best picture: Slumdog Millionaire. Actually, Cindy and I don't go to R-rated movies. But we made an exception for this one. (It was not offensive like some of those goofy R movies are!) I was intrigued by the setting of the movie. I made a trip to India. I've seen some of the sites pictured in the movie although my trip was primarily to the jungle area and not the cities. But I've ridden down some of those streets and seen the abject poverty. It is an amazing place.

So I had an extra interest in Slumdog Millionaire. I was not disappointed. As a matter of fact, I would be glad to encourage a moviegoer to see the film. I would also love to see Slumdog win the best picture award.

It has a mixture of realism and miracle. There is adventure, love, hope and drama. But what I really like is the sense that there is something at work beyond the human characters. Some traditions call it fate or destiny. In Christianity we recognize the hand of God at work in the details and events of life. This grace of God accomplishes amazing things.

As I wait for the Academy Awards to begin (Oh wow -- Duke is getting ready to play Wake Forest!), I'll take a moment to reflect on how God's grace gets involved in all the details of life. Here is the hope we have as followers of Jesus Christ. If you go see Slumdog watch it through the lens of faith. I hope it wins.

It's been a good day. I hope you had a good day too.

No comments: