Sunday, September 14, 2008

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Oh boy. I've been watching the Chiefs since the 1960s. They were really good when I first became a fan. I was with them through the glory years. Two Super Bowl appearances in the first four. A World Championship. Then came the mid-70s when everything went south. They were simply not good. I watched them in the 90s when they were practically unbeatable at Arrowhead. Sure they disappointed us in the playoffs but they were good. Then came the high scoring years. If they could have only played a little defense. Now this. Oh boy. It takes a real fan to sit through something like this game today. Nothing. No offense. No defense. No nothing! Oh well. Maybe next week things will take a good turn and out of nowhere a great game will come forth.

There is a good side to this. If the Chiefs keep on like this I predict church attendance will pick up on those Chiefs Sundays!

Which brings me to a better thought. We had a great day today. This weekend church was meaningful. Ginger preached Saturday evening and got us off to a super start. Eveything clicked today. (With the exception of the donuts!)

Here's the thing. The donut supplier assured us they would be reopened this weekend. Well, I guess they weren't. Kenny Harper bailed us out. It's different to walk into the grocery store and tell them you'd like 10 dozen donuts!

But other than that, it was really good day. The music was uplifting. Did you notice the acolytes? Those young people walked in and brought the light of Christ into our midst and we felt it. I really like Walter putting together Amazing Grace with Peaceful Easy Feeling. I'm still hearing that one in my mind this evening. And that's a good sign.

It's good when something from church stays with us. I hope something that was sung or prayed or spoken or preached will stay with you today and through the week. That word from God is what keeps us going. That gets us through the day -- the week. That's what makes for a good day. Worship, prayer, singing, the privilege of preaching the gospel -- they outweighed a disappointing football game. It was a good day. I hope you had a good day too!

2 comments:

Mike Cole said...

OK MU rules, Chiefs don't. Kathy, my boys and I went to dinner tonight and afterwards we stopped at a quick mart and standing in line another patron noticed my MU shirt and said that if the Chiefs only had the MU quaterback they would win. What does that say about the difference one person can make?

One person can always make a difference. Always. My faith tells me so, my life tells me so, my church tells me so.

All of the pastors, staff, member servant leaders and members of my church SHOW ME SO.

We are all called to be that ONE PERSON who Makes The Difference!

Great Worship today.

God Bless you Steve and our wonderful staff!

Mike Cole

Steve Breon said...

Wow. The difference of one!
steve