Tuesday, September 16, 2008

doughnuts and pie!

First let me follow up on the great donut mystery from last Sunday. To make a long story short, we believed our donut supplier was back in business but when Sunday came -- obviously they were not. But not all was lost. I LEARNED something.

To start with I'm not a great fan of having donuts in the fellowship hall on Sunday morning. They are not the most healthy food! But the main reason is that I like them! I see them and I want to eat them. And I'm not one to cut a donut in half. Nope. I'd rather eat three of them and half of one! So when I walk past the donuts I want to eat them until they are gone. That is why I don't particularly like having them here.

But here is what I learned Sunday. I heard the word -- no donuts! I walked down to the dining hall. There was no one there. Deserted. Empty. Nothing. Then I realized how wonderful a gift donuts are. When we have them there is life in the dining hall. There are people clustered together talking. Fellowship. Joy. Children are happy! And so is everyone else. The donuts create fellowship. Be there Sunday. Donuts should be back!

I am invested in this. After all, I had a preschooler tell me it was my fault there were no donuts Sunday.

Now on to something even better than donuts. Pie. I've been doing great. A few years ago my idea of a diet was eating one piece of pie rather than the whole thing! I've cut back. I've been watching my pie intake. Then we had that pie auction last week. We bought a cherry pie and a lemon pie. I ate about half of both of them. They were good. They were Carolyn Andler pies!

Today the story took an even better turn. I got my very own special pie today. Sat it right down in front of me at staff meeting. Homemade mincemeat pie! It is great. I could offer a piece to people and not get any takers. So Reuben and I got to enjoy our pie. He is the only one I found who appreciates the finer pies -- mincemeat, gooseberry, sour cream raisin.

Anyway, I've got to go home and eat the rest of this pie so I can start cutting back again! Maybe I'm just trying to rationalize but doesn't a person need some "sacred pleasure" in life? As long as I keep working out and not eating the whole pie every week, maybe it is ok to enjoy mincement today.

God has created some wonderful things and given us these gifts for our enjoyment. It's not just donuts and pie. There are signs of fellowship, grace and love. Not guilty pleasures. Godly pleasures. I hope you discover the pleasure God is offering you today.

1 comment:

Veggiehead said...

There is a time for everything, and everything on earth has its special season. - Ecclesiastes 3:1 NCV

That includes pie. :)