Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What else is on people's minds?

The last post represented some of the thoughts I figure people have when they worship. The ideas come from conversations with other pastors over the last 30 years as well as various experiences from different churches I have served. They tended to have a somewhat negative mood. But what else are people thinking when they come to church? Here are some more.

- The church is so beautiful.
- This is where I was married.
- I am so proud of my child.
- That worship service inspired me.
- I feel good about having served others this week.
- That was a great breakfast we had in Sunday School.
- I think I can win the golf tournament this year.
- I am so thankful for my wife/husband.
- How can I be a great steward in light of the promotion and raise I got?
- My teacher said I did a good job.
- I am so thankful for our church's preschool. (I heard that one this week!)
- What a youth group!
- I just love to hear him play the piano!
- God really does care about me.
- Today I know my sins are forgiven.
- I think my dog went to heaven.
- I am glad to be a Christian.
- My faith gives meaning to life.
- I feel better now.
- It is good to worship the Lord.

These are some thoughts that I am sure flow through people's minds as they find themselves in worship. Surely the presence of the Lord is in this place.

No comments: