Sunday, February 18, 2018

Reflections From Sunday Evening

My insight of the day - The best thing about winter is you can't catch a summer cold.  But you sure can catch a winter one.  But like most of us who have been fighting off colds and flu this winter I am going in the right direction. 
This week I have some real suffering scheduled as I represent our conference Board of Ministry at an event in Orlando.  Maybe I can get out of a conference room long enough to enjoy some 80 degree weather.  I bet I do.
The purpose of the event is to develop a conference plan for clergy assessment.  I know it sounds really exciting, but it could be very helpful.
It makes me think about the idea of assessment.  The Leadership Council is initiating a strategic planning process.  We want to have the clearest idea possible of where God wants to take us in the next few years. (Vision)  Then we must chart the course to get there. (Path)
Another part of this will be assessing our ministries.  It is important, every few years, to make sure what we are doing is consistent with and furthering our mission.  (Leading people to follow Jesus.)
I will certainly be doing self-assessment as part of this.  We will all be taking a look at how we are doing with moving the church forward in serving the Lord.
I am encouraged by what I see in the life of our church.
Today we launched our new service.  Frankly, it reminded me of "church" when I was growing up and developing a life of faith. 
This "traditional" service truly complements our other services, especially praise and worship and modern worship. 
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

1 comment:

Bob Hummel said...

It was a wonderful day for worship at PWUMC! We attended the modern service and found it to be enjoyable and rewarding in the words that were spoken by Pastor Jake. We have a wonderful church and it will only get better in the future.