Monday, September 4, 2017

Reflections From Sunday Evening

I have been reading a devotion on faith.  It consists of a series of scriptures talking about faith.  You read and reflect.  Something strikes me about this whole idea of praying in faith.  Evidently when we pray and believe something happens!  I believe that.  I have believed that for a long time.  The problem is my experience does not always match up with the circumstances.
For instance, when I read a passage like Mark 11:22-25 I hear Jesus instructing his followers "to not doubt in their hearts but believe what they say will happen", and it will be done for them.
Mark 11:24 is one of those verses we read and "want" to believe but it seems to be in contrast to reality.  "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."
Frankly I have been praying for a long time.  This, and verses like it, are in my heart and mind.  But sometimes when I ask God for something He seems silent.  Is it me?  Am I doing something wrong?  Some teachers will place blame on the person praying when a request for healing goes unanswered.  That is bad teaching. (in my opinion)  So what do we do?
My question to myself is "how do I go from 'wondering why' to 'will'"?
When I pray how do I go from wondering why this verse is in the Bible?
How do I go from wondering why I am told to ask in this manner?
How do I go from wondering why God seems silent?
How do I go from wondering why the prayer seems unanswered?
How do I go from wondering why the scripture says this but the answer seems elusive?
I could go on with my wondering why.
How do I find myself with a mindset of "will"?
God will hear our prayers.
God will answer our prayers.
God will move in our lives.
God will.  God will.  God will.
Oh, if you have read this and are expecting an answer, sorry.  I'm just sharing where I am in my prayer life at this point.  I have witnessed lots of prayers answered.  Many of them have come over a long period of time.  Many have required deeper reflection to see where God has been working.  But I still wonder.
It's been a good day.
I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: