Sunday, December 18, 2016

Reflections From Sunday Evening

Brrrr.  In case anyone did not notice the streets were slick Saturday.  I felt the need to get out and check the roads before making a decision on whether or not to have church Saturday evening. I backed out of the drive and headed down the hill.  I figured I would go down a couple of blocks, make a turn and circle back around.  Started up a hill and couldn't make it.  I think I could have been in an army tank and still not made it.  Really slick.  In trying to get squared around and head back down that hill the vehicle started to slide.  There was nothing to do.  I whacked a mailbox and knocked it over.  From there I got across the street and got a little off the road so I could get some traction, stopped the car and headed back across the street to let the homeowner know they would soon be the proud owners of a new mailbox courtesy of the guy driving on the slick road.
I got across the road and came to the sidewalk in front of the house.  It was really slick.  Then things began to happen.  It was like slow motion.  I thought I cannot stand on this stuff much longer.  Rather than flail away I just basically sat down on the ice and slid down the hill like a kid on a sled!
Then I got in the grass and made it to the front door.  I have this idea the couple had been watching the whole thing.  I knocked, they opened the door and invited me in.  I gave them my card with my cell phone number and asked them to call me so I could replace the mailbox.  I did tell them I was doing "church business" checking on the roads.  They were nice.  Who knows, maybe they will come to church some time.
Needless to say we did not have church Saturday evening.  I will cancel Saturday services when the weather is like it was Saturday.  But we do not cancel on Sundays due to weather.  In past years I've tried that.  We would put a note on the door announcing that services were cancelled and somebody would come up and read it.  So if someone is going to come to church we are committed to being there regardless of the weather.
I got back up the hill and into the garage.  Stayed in until this morning when I carefully navigated my way to church where a pretty amazing crowd of people braved the elements to come and worship the Lord.  It was a blessed day all around.
It's been a good day.  I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: