Sunday, January 5, 2014

Reflections From Sunday Evening

It was so cold I saw two dogs with jumper cables trying to get a rabbit started! That is the "cold" joke for the day. I think I first heard that from Bill Gaither or someone in his group. I tell you that because it makes me think of several things. In the 1970's I first heard the music of the Bill Gaither Trio. That was "contemporary" for the time. About the same time I was introduced to Maranatha Music - Jesus Movement music from the 1960's. Later in the 1980's Integrity Music brought the Hosanna Music to enhance worship. The trends continue to this day. I grew up with the hymns of the church. I find that all these types of Christian Music feed the soul. I told you that because I was thinking about different churches I have been part of. On this cold, snowy day our attendance at the 8:15 service reminded me of the little church in Oklahoma where I first started preaching. If we had 12 people it was a good day! Many people have a church experience that includes small membership congregations. They give us some great foundational memories. Like music changes so do churches. We continue to discover the new ways God uses to reach and care for people. It is an exciting time to be involved with what God is doing at PWUMC. Times change but cold is still cold! Over the next day or two take care. We know the thaw will come and we will soon find ourselves gathered together to worship and experience the "new thing" God is doing. It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too. steve

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I, too, come from a small congregation church that I attended as a child. A Christian Science Church. Maybe 20 attendees in church and 8 kids in Sunday School. I always wondered why our church had that sub-zero snowday feel to it. It wasn't until I discovered PWUMC 6 years ago that I experienced all a church can offer. For the soul, the spirit, and providing stepping stones for our earthly journey. I am equally happy about the experience my 4 children are having as they grow up with an engaging, fun, interactive approach to discovering God and keeping Him in their lives. Thank you for the extremely positive church experience.