Sunday, December 30, 2012

Reflections From Sunday Evening

A few asked me to share some of the books I mentioned this morning. So here is some of what I was speaking about this weekend. I guess I could start with the Hardy Boys and Chip Hilton books. If you have youngsters interested in mystery or sports these would be some vintage books to share. But here goes with what I have been reading this year. I mentioned "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg. This is the basis for the new message series beginning next week. There are ways to overcome bad habits and develop good habits. I will be putting this in a spiritual context for the series. I read a couple of John Grisham novels this year. I don't only read theological material. I have referred to Andy Andrews book, "How Do You Kill 11 Million People?" Joel Manby, CEO of Herschend Family Entertainment contributes the the management/leadership literature. Today people are teaching that you do not motivate or manage with "sticks and carrots" but with affirmation. In Manby's case love is an essential ingredient. Jonathan Merritt wrote "A Faith of Our Own." He represents young evangelicals who are putting their own mark on faith rather than simply continuing the faith of their childhood. I read a novel by Wendel Berry; "Jabber Crow." For any who have rural roots or grew up in the country this will remind you of some familiar ways of life in rural America. Patrick Lencioni wrote "The Advantage." This is another leadership/management book that I found very stimulating. Michael Atchison (a member of Platte Woods) published the novel XL. I personally found it insightful. "Deep and Wide" by Andy Stanley is an important book. I am excited about learning ways to develop a church that people who do not like to go to church will love to attend. I also mentioned a number of podcasts and preachers I listen to. Catalyst podcast with Brad Lominick and Ken Coleman is filled with insights, new books, how churches and ministries are doing social action and many young preachers are featured. Some of the preachers I listen to on my iPod include Andy Stanley, Charles Stanley, John Ortberg, Joel Osteen (mainly for his joke!), Craig Groeschel, Tim Keller, Rick Warren and Bill Hybels. Of course you can always go to the Platte Woods UMC website and listen to our messages. It's been a good day. Getting ready for the new year with snow and all that. It's also been a good year. I think I'll read a little this evening. I hope you've had a good day. steve

No comments: