Sunday, March 25, 2012

Reflections From Sunday Evening

This weekend I was privileged to participate in the interview process for potential bishops in the South Central Jurisdiction. The delegations from Missouri, Kansas East, Kansas West and Nebraska gathered at Platte Woods UMC to spend time with 10 candidates.
This is the fourth time I have shared in the interview process and I truly believe those who are offering themselves for consideration this year are the strongest group I have met. Each bring strong gifts for leadership at a very important time in the life of the UMC.
That said I want to "brag" on the people of Platte Woods UMC. We were the host site for the interviews. Our people excelled at "radical hospitality." I could not be more proud of our church and especially all those who served.
On another note - Today I issued a "what if..." for our church. What if we were to provide clean water for 1 milliion people in ten years? With a sermon on the
"rivers of living water" in the context of our Lenten Water Project it all seems to fit.
When a church feels a nudge from God and claims a vision that requires more than we have to offer in resources and ability, exciting things are on the verge of taking place. I'm not sure how our congregation will respond to "clean water for 1 million in 10 years" but I have a feeling we are going to hear many ideas and see God send forth His Rivers of Living Water that will flood our lives, our church and our world with forgivness, salvation, hope, faith and life.
It's been a good day. I hope you've had a good day too.
steve

No comments: